Tuesday, December 22, 2009

… little Christmas touches. . .





Just a few more photos of the bit of Christmas decorations around the house. . . We are having a bit of a blustery day (snow forecasted for the mountains!) . . . so it seems like my wish for cool weather for Christmas is coming true!.



No tree this year (I'm aiming for getting at least one little one up next year) . . . so the decorations are mostly gracing some of the flat surfaces around the center of the house.  I pulled a variety of glass & ceramic bowls & dishes out of the curio for these cream, soft green, pink, & mercury glass ornaments. They are on a side table that borders my studio (between the studio & kitchen) - so they are passed several times daily.

They make me smile. I love their softness. They help make everything feel a bit more cozy.

My Christmas will be small, quiet celebration. . . with Bailey & Dad. But I actually quite like that fact. Don't get me wrong - I love big family gatherings & I have had some great times this past year getting together with my family (weddings!) &  with many of my cousins. . . but for me. . . I really do like my Christmas to be smaller & not frenzied. It seems to go along with how my life is these days. As I've been working in the studio the past few days - I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music (I love having Christmas tunes on all day long!) &  I've also searched for good movies on the television . . . (sometimes hard to find!) But yesterday I watched (re-watched really) the movie. 'You've Got Mail'. I have to admit - I really love that movie for some reason . . . but yesterday, there was a section that really hit home for me. Funny. Maybe it's the end of the year & I'm more reflective these days. . . & maybe it's the smaller Christmas celebration that I so treasure these days. I've heard these lines time & time again, but this time I really related. It's the lead female character, Kathleen Kelly, writing to an email-pal. . .

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."




I wish for you a wonderful, magical, warm  & blessed Christmastime.

xo, Bren

8 comments:

Jenny said...

It is a great movie, isn't it? thanks for that excerpt, nice when reading it on your blog.
Merry Christmas.

Shirl said...

I have to say that 'You've Got Mail' is also one of my favorite movies. There will be lots of excitement and activity at my house Christmas with the family and I love it. But, I also love after everyone is gone just having Christmas music softly playing and looking at the Christmas tree lights. There's something very peaceful and calming about it.
Merry Christmas!

Darlene said...

Christmas Wishes to you, your dad and Bailey. I like a quiet Christmas, as well. In fact one Christmas Day we spent the afternoon at the theater watching "You've Got Mail". :-)

Sherri said...

Merry Christmas...thanks so much for the wonderful inspiration all year round!

pdudgeon said...

definitely agreed. i loved the hustle and bustle of the malls all decorated at Christmas in years past, when people were friendly and enjoyed shopping. but i also love the quiet times now, and enjoying simple things.

pdudgeon said...

ps, forgot to say that 'you've got mail" is also one of my favorite movies.

MahQuilter said...

Bren, You bring so much love to all of us. Those who truely love you keep you in their prayers. I consider myself one of those as you and your dad are in my prayers often. Thank you for being who you are, a loving, giving and caring person. Wishing you and your Dad a wonderful Christmas and a Blessed New Year.

Charmingdesigns said...

Love that movie. Your blog has beautiful photos.