Saturday, February 27, 2010

… dreaming of spring

Now,  I know that I don't live in a part of the country where there has been inches & inches of snow . . . (although the mountains that I live right next to have had over 7 feet of snow fall on it this winter!). . . but here where I live (north of Tucson, AZ), we have had what I would consider a good cold(ish) winter. In fact, we are getting another storm arrive this evening(!) (Yea!. . . we love rain!)


But. . . I must admit - that I too . . . am ready for spring to arrive. . . . And,  hidden in that statement is the realization that I do believe that I have become a winter wimp. Even living here. . . with a very mild winter (in comparison) - I am so ready for warmer temps. In the past few weeks we've had a few beautiful days (in the 70's) full of hint's of the wonderful spring weather to come. . . & I'm up for it!!!!


So, in the spirit of getting ready for spring, I thought I'd share a little quilt that I made this year. . . & maybe plant a few ideas on your mind for future projects of your own . . .



 If you've read my blog for any amount of time - you know how much I love stitchery. Well, this past fall - I re-made one of my applique patterns, 'Apple Blossoms', but this time I traced the applique layout & used it for a stitchery instead.

For the center. . .

For the side setting triangles. . .


 & for the corner triangles. . .


(I'm hoping these photos also might help those of you who have emailed & asked about how I quilt my quilts with stitchery. I often just quilt right through the stitchery - but this time my quilter used the stitchery lines as guidelines for her quilting. . . I just love how it all worked out.)

I also simplified the borders a bit & just left off the outer pieced border for this version.



Right now - this quilt is gracing the kitchen table. . . so that we get the reminder throughout the day. . . that spring is coming! So, if you have stitching bug. . . & maybe an applique design that you love. . . try it in stitchery!

I also wanted to tell you. . . 

I have a secret!!

. . . but!

. . . I also got permission to give you some peeks. . . !!

. . . so I'll be working on getting a special peek ready for you. . . !

Until then, (!!!!)

Bren

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am ready for spring too and this quilt really does resemble spring. It is really pretty, the stitchery is beautiful. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing your little surprise.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your little stitchery quilt does look so springy and bright! Perfect.

Sparky said...

Nothing spells spring for me like apple blossoms, sew your stitching Bren, encompasses those visual senses too!. How lovely and I recognize your Celebration Prints...blessings madame samm

Sherri said...

How pretty!! And I agree with you, it is time for Spring!!! It was beautiful here (Olive Branch, MS) today, it makes you want to get out and dig in the dirt!!! I love your quilt!!

mascanlon said...

Lovely little quilt. The stitchery is a perfect touch of Spring!

Sarah Bisel said...

Hey hey hey, I live in NW Tucson. Did I find a quilting friend here? I have loved the rain, but that's just me.