Tuesday, December 30, 2014

That 'VAT' thing….


I'm trying to 'dress'  this announcement up to try & make it 'prettier' than it really is - because actually it's quite a bit of a mess….

I'm talking about the 'about to happen' changes in the EU VAT  (European Union  Value Added Tax) situation as it pertains to my PDF downloadable patterns. On January 1, 2015  a new EU law will go into effect regarding VAT on all electronic supplied services (in this case - PDF downloadable patterns). From January 1 - the VAT would now be determined by the purchaser's/buyer's location. So, if a seller - even in non-EU countries sell a PDF downloadable pattern to someone who lives in one of the EU countries - that seller would be expected to charge the VAT at the buyers country rate (& there are 75 different tax rates within the 28 European member countries) & then send that vat to that countries authorities. (sigh). The administrative requirements are beyond reasonable for small businesses & make the entire process honestly overwhelming.

(If you would like more info - you can find it here.)

So, what does that mean for the patterns I have made available as PDF downloads?

I have researched several options, & because I don't want to block the sales to EU countries & I want to make PDF patterns still available to everyone (& I don't want to break any 'laws' - even though many legal experts state they can't see how the EU could enforce their new VAT ruling on sellers from non-union countries), I will be making a change as to how my PDF patterns will be delivered (so that I will stay within the new VAT changes). As of January 1, 2015 - I will be manually emailing any PDF patterns that are ordered. This doesn't change the product you will receive - it's just that the PDF patterns will no longer be available as an instantly available downloadable e-service. It means there will be a bit of a delay as to how soon you will receive your order - & I will do my best to get all PDF pattern orders sent within 12 - 24 hours from the time they are ordered. (Hopefully sooner!) The plus side is that PDF patterns will still be available & you don't have to pay any shipping in order to get the pattern (what we love about them!), & they will still arrive sooner than when shipped.

Because there is no way to separate the EU customers from the rest through the shopping cart used on my website - this will apply to all PDF orders - no matter what country you live in.

Thanks so much for your understanding. If you have any questions - please fell free to email me. (You can find my email - in my profile - under 'about me' on the sidebar.)

Not the most enjoyable post to have to make - but I want to be sure that everyone can enjoy the ability to have access to PDF patterns!

I hope you have a wonderful start to the New Year!

Bren

No comments: