Thursday, July 14, 2011

… hexie love



For years. . . I have had 'do English paper piecing' on my 'to-do' list. . .


. . . & the two Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts that I have (one made by each of my Grandma's) are my favorites & I have on display so I see them each & every day (& are right up at the top of my 'things to grab if ever I would have to evacuate' list). . .
. . . & I also had 'collected' so many packages - in so many sizes ( ¼", ½", ¾", 1", 1¼", & 1½") of hexagon paper templates. . . but I had never taken the plunge. That's one of the drawbacks of designing,  I don't often have the time to jump into projects that aren't part of one of my new designs. So. . . how to solve that?. . . Yep! One (& actually now two) of the new designs you will see coming up this fall - will have hexies in them. (. . . & for those of you who aren't as enamored with making them - no worries - there will be piecing options. . .)


. . . but I am having a ball making these little cuties! I am using scraps from each of my fabric lines. . . fussy cutting some of them (just for fun!) & I now understand just how addictive they are! It's so much fun to see how happy they make you - just in the creating & finishing of each little flower . . . it's like they have they're own little personalities. . .


Here's a peek at the little lunchbox/tin that I've been carrying around with me wherever I go (they are the perfect take-with-you project). . . It's been working wonderfully. . . but I can see that a trip to Jo Anne's or the Container Store is in the near future - as I'm needing a case to house all the little hexies one they are prepped - & while they wait to be made into their own little wonders. I'm going to look for a little case with smaller divisions or compartments that will keep them snug & safe until it's their turn.



. . . & just in case you are about to jump into the English paper-piecing bandwagon (or are already there). . . I have found that the tips from Sue Daley  (Patchwork With Busyfingers) to be the best that I have found. I was first basting with thread the corners of each of my hexies. . . but then I watched a video she did & she showed how she used the Sewline glue pen (from United Notions) to lightly glue baste the edges of the hexies to the paper pieces. . . & it works like a dream . . . & saves so much time! (Thank you Sue!)

Well. . . I'd best sign off for today. . . the UPS man brought me the next Durham Collection - Anew strike-offs late yesterday afternoon. . . & they are calling my name! (. . . & I'm so very excited about this line! . . . giddy was an understatement when I saw them!) I will take some photo peeks for you. . . (& hopefully you will get as giddy as I am!)

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Bren

12 comments:

PamKittyMorning said...

I can't wait to see what they will turn into.. and I also can't wait to see some Durham Anew!

Cascade Quilts said...

I have been collecting scraps for a hexie quilt - but have not yet started any assembly - where can I find those directions about using the glue pen instead of thread/needle? that sound like it would be for me! is it permanent? could I prepare a whole quilt worth of hexies before I started assembly? (I want to make sure I get a super random pattern, not going to work on a flower garden type)

Auntie Pami said...

For the little hexies, an embroidery floss box works nicely. So glad you're doing these little stinkers.

MahQuilter said...

Hi Bren,
I am almost finished with my Grandmothers pattern for fall also. It was to be done for Spring Mkt but you know how that goes. I have been working on it for years (you can tell by the fabric choice - old LOL) but I still love it. I love your color choice as it is so you. Hope all is well with you, Dad and Bailey. Love ya lots

pdudgeon said...

always love those hexies! I have a GFG in the 'Hanging Diamond' variation that is almost finished.
Would love to make another one from either Civil War repro fabrics or else patriotic fabrics.
Can't wait to see your latest Durham Anew fabrics.
our Crepe Myrtles are in full bloom this week around the city, and the scent is heavenly! We used to have one back home that my dad planted. it's taller than the house now! When i see all these lovely trees in full bloom i miss my crepe myrtle so much!

Lynn S said...

Would you share the story about your Durham fabric line...how it received it's name? I love the Durham wholecloth quilts and just want to know more. Thanks much!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Can't wait to see your fabric Bren! Those hexies are so pretty. I looked and could not find a video about using glue to baste the hexie to the paper. Could you describe it further?

Nancy said...

They are addictive!! I am using the 1" paper hexies with 30's prints... and the 1/2" with Civil War prints.

Your's are looking lovely! Keep at it! and thank you for the inspiration to get a picture of mine posted.

Natalie Lymer said...

ohhh! I love the hexies too, I must find some time to play with them (on my to-do list also!)

luvtoquilt said...

I, too, would love to see the tutorial on using the glue basting. These hexies have been on my to do list -- now's the time!

Samantha said...

We just did them at our last guild meeting! Now I have a pile next to the sofa, calling me....

Cassy said...

This is my very first time to visit your site and I find your creativity. It's nice to read your post and be inspired.

Cassy from Best Online Guitar Lessons