Wednesday, June 17, 2009

… linen love



Years ago. . . (lots of them!) - when I was doing interior design in Santa Barbara, I fell in love with linen. Ralph Lauren came out with a line of fabrics for home furnishings that had some wonderful linens (leave it to Ralph!) - & even though slipcovers were really 'out' of style at the time. . . I had a wonderful older client, a lady with elegant tastes & yet had such a down to earth personality, & she didn't care if slipcovers were 'in' or not. She knew what she liked & she wanted linen slipcovers.

So, I showed her the wonderful RL linen samples (& I held my breath), & she loved them! I had the hardest time finding someone who would make them (remember they weren't in 'style' then & every upholsterer said "no"!) - & then finally my wonderful drapery workshop said they would he happy to! When we installed the room . . . & put the slipcovers on . . . that was it. . . my love for linen (as well as my client!) was sealed. I have loved linen ever since.

. . . I love it for slipcovers. . . .

. . . I love it for bedcovers . . . (my current bedcover is an off-white linen duvet cover edged with a wonderful ruffle that I got at PB on clearance!) :o)

. . . I love it for clothing (I always have a pair or 2 . . . or 3 of J.Jill linen pants in my wardrobe - at all times. . . for all seasons!)

. . . & now I love it for my quilt & stitchery designing. (Thank you Moda!!!)

At this past Quilt Market - Moda introduced a new fabric line by Kaari Meng (French General), called Rouenneries (pronounced ruin-air-ies). It will be in quilt shops in October . . . but for now - many of us designers are so inspired with it!!! The line is filled with wonderful French inspired prints in red, a wonderful faded red, creams, taupes, & then it also includes 100% linen. . . !! The linen is the classic plain linen, & they are offering it in 3 colors - a light linen (pearl), a medium linen (oyster), & a red linen.

All simply & perfectly wonderful. (!)




I do have a confession though. . . I am becoming a hoarder of the fabrics in this line!!! See the basket in the photo above? . . . that's just the tip of my current 'Rouenneries' iceberg! At Sample Spree, I got it in every form they it available in. . . jelly roll, layer cake, fat quarter bundle. . . you name it. . . I bought it! (I also ordered several blots of the linens - & will have them available on the website this fall.)


So lately, I've been in stitching heaven - using my incredible Cosmo embroidery floss (which will also be on the website. . . soon!) (I'm using their 2 strand line - that comes on a spool. . . love that!) & my 'Rouenneries' linen. The pieces in the photo are for a table-topper design that I sketched on my flight home from Market. . . I was that inspired by the fabrics. For this version - I'm using 2 colors - a red & a linen color & I'm loving how it's turning out.





The one thing that I did - in using linen - was that I pre-washed it. I usually don't pre-wash my fabrics (unless I'm really worries about the dye. . . ), but with the linen & I wasn't sure what the shrinkage would be - compared to the quilt weight fabrics (I'm using both in my project) - so I decided to go ahead & pre-wash. You can see the armful of soft, cloud-like linen that came out of the dryer in the top photo.

Simply, perfectly, yummy.

It is so lovely to work with, & after a little pressing - I could hardly wait to get started. (Also, when stitching with it - it doesn't need to be backed by anything!)

So - if you like linen. . . or want to give it a try. . . get ready - it's coming!!!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely Bren! I have my own hoarded stash of this line and keep looking at it longingly, hoping it will tell me what to do with it... :)

Jodi Nelson said...

I've been eyeing the French General line. And your post and photos about it are scrumptious! And I love the peaks at your stitchery project. Does it shrink a lot? ooxx`jodi

Sherri said...

I won a fat quarter bundle of this line from Fat Quarter Shop...and I love it!!! But I haven't yet figured out the perfect project or projects for it...so I'm waiting...hoping I'll figure something out soon!

Elizabeth said...

So lovely Bren! Can't wait to see more than just the peeks you've given us!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh man...it looks like a beautiful line. I can't wait to see it!

PamKittyMorning said...

Looks beautiful. Can't wait to see the project.

Mary's Cottage Quilts said...

Hi Bren,
I LOVE linen too! That was the saddest part of missing market - no sample spree, no French General fabric :(
I can't wait till it comes out!!
Mary
I love what you are doing with it, can't wait to see the finished product

Robin C said...

The French General fabrics jumped out at me when I saw them on some blogs and I can't wait until they are out. Am really curious what you are designing.

Unknown said...

Love your stitchery! so cute :)

suz said...

I didn't realize what I was getting at Sample Spree-I just loved the colors, and bought a ton. When I got home and looked at my list of things I wanted, I was upset I didn't get the French General fabric. Then I unpacked my stuff-serendipity! I haven't opened it yet, that will happen this weekend, but seeing yours makes me really eager to get into those packages! Can't wait to see what your finished product is-I love what I'm seeing so far!

Vicky said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this line. You haven't snatched it all up, have you? :) Love your embroidery. Hope it's going to be a pattern!

Sandy said...

How cute are those new stitcheries...can't wait to see the whole thing.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i haven't gotten the chance to work with linen yet but i dream of the day... your project looks so pretty... i can't wait to see it done...

Auntie Pami said...

I see I'll have to brush off my embroidery skills (or lack thereof). I did order some of this so I'm becoming super excited. Now, off to find that thread...

Thanks!

Lori Holt said...

Brenda-
That linen looks so yummy to work with. I love linen also and can't wait until it's out...I'm sure it will do very well!
Lori
P.S. Looking at your work is inspiring to me. I'm glad that we both have a love of embroidery...yours is so beautiful.

Sinta Renee said...

Linen! Love it! Embroidery! Love it! Putting the two together... perfect:)

Jody said...

I adore linen. Now on my "list of lists of things I want" is a set of linen slipcovers. Oh, gee. Thanks for your wonderful posts and patterns. Plus, Bailey needs to meet Katie.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Brenda, I love your quilt. Will your stitchery designs be a pattern?? I'm hoping so. It looks perfect with that new line of fabric.