Wednesday, October 28, 2009

. . . an autumn-y day



I woke up really early this morning. . . (around 4:30) . . . & couldn't get back to sleep. . . maybe because of the weather report/forcast that temperatures here in Arizona are going to take a big dip (up to 30 degrees!) today. (Yippee!!!). . . & I'm so excited - I guess I just couldn't wait for this actual fall-weather day to begin!. . . (& then again. . . it could be because I have a to-do list about a mile long. . . just for today!)

I love fall weather & all that comes with autumn. . . & if you've read my blog for any amount of time. . . you know that I tend to lament a bit when autumn comes around & we're still having temps in the 80's. Maybe with age - I'm beginning to mellow into the acceptance of those kind of temperatures here in Arizona. . . & maybe it's because I've 'wised-up' & for the past few years - have been taking many more day trips up to Mt. Lemmon - only 45 minutes from my house. And, at 9,100 feet. . . you feel like your in Colorado & the aspen & maple trees amidst the pine trees really put on a beautiful autumn show.

This past week, my Dad & I were joined by my cousin & his wife & we went up to the top of Mt. Lemmon. (Up to the top means taking the ski lift to the very tippy-top. . . where the views are breathtaking & where it is so blissfully quiet. . . all you hear is the wind in the leaves.

We really hit it at a great time. . . & as usual . . . I went nuts taking photos. (with my iPhone . . . still can't believe I forgot my camera!)

This is on the path to catch the ski lift. . .



These are taken from the lift. . . (the round-y orange tree in the middle is one of my favorites. . .)




Towards the top of this photo you can see a peek of couple aspen trees peeking out through the pines. . . these are scattered all over at the top of the mountain & the contrast of the pines & the jolts of yellow aspen are beautiful. . . like autumn's exclamation points. . .



After we come back down from the ski lift, a new favorite is to go to the pizza/cookie cabin (in the mountaintop village of Summerhaven). . . where they make the best pizza. . . & huge (8") cookies to order. . . so that they come to your table warm - fresh out of the oven. Yum! (I always do some extra walking in the days before going up - just so I can indulge!)

This is the sign that they have hanging - just outside the bathroom. . . (I love it.)


. . . & here's me & Dad. I'm loving that we get to share all these trips up to Mt. Lemmon. . . & he's a pretty wonderful "date"! (. . . I sooo need to practice better posture!!!)


Hope your week is filled with memory making moments!. . . (now. . . I need to go & find my sweaters!. . . ) :o)

8 comments:

Mary's Cottage Quilts said...

Wow, what beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.
mary

suz said...

What a lovely area and how nice you get to spend the day with your Dad. It was such a pleasure to meet you in Houston. I look forward to seeing you in the Spring. Suz Kuhns

Sandy said...

Gorgeous pictures....we have color now in Ohio, but the winds are helping the leaves to fall very rapidly!
Know what you mean about posture...I really have to concentrate on that when someones camera comes out!

PamKittyMorning said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I love the photos! xo

Julie H said...

Wow I didn't know it actually ever got around the 30's in Arizona!! I don't think I could handle living there since it gets even hotter than we do here in the California valley.

Anne Sutton said...

The photo with the light coming in on the trees is beautiful! Wonderful pictures and so sweet of you and your dad. Thanks for sharing!

CuteStuffInside said...

Those trees are spectacular!

S.W.A.K.

P.S. - Please come over to enter our 2nd Annual Halloween Contest/Giveaway - better hurry!

Rae Ann said...

Love the photos! How fortunate for you to spend a fun day with you Dad.